My ultimate goal is to be able to help business men and women, pioneers, innovators, and those who have the insight, strength and courage to embark on starting and building a business for the benefit of those they employ and the family’s in turn they support, to achieve success.
John Bernard is a successful entrepreneur and investor, who has over the last 18 years been involved with, and has invested in over 30 companies worldwide across a variety of different sectors and who enjoys personally helping to build and grow companies with his investments and high level management contribution.
Having started out in the computer industry in the late eighties, and having been fortunate to build up a relatively successful company, he went on to invest in various internet start-ups, which provided him with the success and capital to be able to invest in more mature companies across a variety of different industries.
"Success isn't just about what you accomplish in your life; it's about what you inspire others to do."
Over 100 million CHF
invested to date
Since 2011 through his investment vehicle, Lift Invest Limited, John Bernard has made investments in engineering, pharmaceuticals, ecommerce, and manufacturing, in the United Kingdom, Europe, and the United States of America; with deal sizes ranging from 1 million to 45 million.
"The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."
John Bernard’s family office fund seeks to partially acquire, recapitalize or support the growth of small to medium sized businesses across a whole range of industry sectors.
“We do not insist on having control over a company, but prefer to partner with incumbent owners or management in order to create value over the long term.”
Established businesses that have cash flow generation
Strong owner or management team skills
Unique positioning in a market segment or geographical area
Clear ideas for growth or restructuring leading to growth, with an exit horizon of around 5 years
Companies located in EMEA region, North America and Asia
We welcome direct inquiries from the owners, as well as introducers
and M&A advisors.
1. We consider positions as a minority shareholder;
2. We invest upward of 3 million CHF, and prefer to take a hands-off approach to the managing of the business, although we are always there for advice and support;
3. We are willing to consider companies across a wide variety of industries
4. We prefer existing equity holders to retain a significant equity interest post transaction as we believe this gives the incentive to ensure success
5. We are conservative in our use of leverage in transactions;
6. We prefer to invest in the common equity side-by-side with management shareholders;
7. We do not typically consider early-stage or venture capital investments;
8. We are not interested in the real estate transactions
9. We are not interested in the financial sector transactions.
10. We are not interested in investing into questionable businesses, war torn, embargoed countries or politically unstable parts of the world.